Monday, February 22, 2010

Going Vegetarian

Location: Everywhere
February 17 - Easter
Adventure #4

For the last few years, my husband has given up meat for Lent. Given that he's not Catholic and he's a Texan - a Texan whose Grandfather owns a cattle ranch no less - this is a notable sacrifice. Another difficult element is that we live in Eastern Europe, where a meal isn't a meal unless it contains at least one type of animal, preferably in sausage form. However, he is a Christian who rarely complains, and each year he holds out on his bacon addiction until Easter without any grumbles.

This year, I've decided to follow his inspirational lead and will also give up meat for 40 days. I have abstained from meat on Fridays like the Catholic tradition encourages, but never for this long of time. I'm looking forward to this though - to put more thought into what I eat and use it as period of physical cleansing as well as spiritual introspection. 

I have already rescinded from this Lenten promise once - on Ash Wednesday when I ate a shrimp cocktail at a press conference before I realized my blunder - but I hope that's my only indiscretion. At the end of 40 days, I'll report back.



No comments:

Post a Comment