Monday, April 12, 2010

Making up for Lost Meat

Location: Budapest
Easter 2010
Adventure #10

At the stroke of midnight on Easter Eve, I reverted back to my true dietary nature with one large bite of sausage. My prince charming beside me also lost his Lenten glow as the smoke of a grill obscured his animal-friendly patina. That night, a British friend of mine who happens to be a butcher in Budapest hosted a true "Sausage Party" at a local bar. He was grilling up his delectable conconctions all evening, and he set two sausages aside so we could enjoy them when it officially became Easter. And enjoy them we did ...

On actual Easter day, we ventured to the Marriott for their buffet, where Mike feasted on a menagerie of prepared meat, including "squid, veal, shrimp, beef steak, chicken, salmon ham and pork," as he proclaimed on Facebook. Here is a picture of us post-gluttony:




The first few weeks of Lent were a breeze; I didn't miss meat at all. However, after drooling over my family's seafood in Croatia, I definitely began to crave some pure protein. After awhile, I was so sick of pasta and egg-based dishes that I couldn't wait for lent to finish and I found myself with lower energy levels than before despite my best efforts to get enough protein. In Budapest, it's difficult to find fresh, crisp lettuce, and we certainly don't have any Whole Foods or stores that cater to a vegetarian diet, so I struggled to find soy products or salad-making material. Perhaps I'll give up meat again, but I will probably I'll wait until I'm in the Western world once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment