Friday, May 14, 2010

High Culture from the Cheap Seats

Location: Hungarian State Opera House
May 2, 2010
Adventure #15

It is challenging to say, “I think I'll go see an opera,” without adopting a really bad snooty accent. Operas maintain a high-brow connotation, and it is rare that one of my peers attends a show. However, in Europe – land of over-the-top opera houses – everyone deserves to witness their splendor. Luckily, Hungary seems to agree, as they always offer dirt-cheap seats in the upper balcony for mild opera-enthusiasts on a budget, like myself. In fact, it costs far less to buy inexpensive seats for a performance than to take the official tour of the fin de siècle site.

Although I always have obstructed views and have to come in an unadorned side entrance, I love being in the nosebleed section, because I am closer to the opera’s opulent chandeliers and frescoes that bring Greek gods and goddesses to life. This art is as big of a draw as the shows themselves. Also, it’s fun to spy on the people in the private boxes and mezzanine levels to which the balconies directly look. Lastly, it’s good to be in the peon section if I go to a show that I find particularly dull, namely La Traviata last year, because I can leave at intermission and no one is the wiser.

This last month, I bought $2 seats and took my parents to see Sylvia, a ballet. With beautiful sets of a mystical forest and colorful costuming - complete with perky tutus - it actually was a little disappointing not to have a better view. Perhaps I'll splurge for some high-end seats for the next show, but I can't get snooty now.

No comments:

Post a Comment