Monday, July 26, 2010

Brunch Time

Location: Denver, Colorado
July 25, 2010
Adventure #25

Each time I return back to the United States, I am asked by many people what I miss most about home. My top two answers are always my family (friends included) and grocery stores. For my third answer, I may have to say American brunch.

Although Hungary and Croatia have many gastronomic delights, such as flavorful mangalica and fresh calamari, they can't quite compare to an lightly toasted English muffin that hugs ham and eggs and is drizzled with rich hollandaise sauce, washed down with a spicy Bloody Mary or endlessly refilled cups of American-style coffee.

Last weekend a trio of my closest college friends and I ventured to Snooze in downtown Denver. To snag a table at this retro diner, the wait is usually longer than an hour, but with free coffee and sidewalk chalk, the wait flies by. And, all idle time is worth it the first second you get a bite of their creatively flavored pancakes (the best in the world) that come in styles like sweet potatoes or strawberry rhubarb, your taste buds are in heaven. I am not sure why it is, but for some reason, gluttony early in the day seems perfectly acceptable, and who am I to argue with the culinary deities? Thus, my friends and I enjoyed one AM drink too many, lined our stomachs with pancake beds and pools made of hollandaise and butter, caught up and laughed for an hour straight. This is what home feels like.

No comments:

Post a Comment