Sunday, December 5, 2010

Happy Hanukkah

Location: Budapest
December 2, 2010
Adventure #43

I am a religious tourist - I enthusiastically seize any opportunity to experience a new holy ritual, whether it was attempting meditation at my college's Zen Buddhism meetings or having the honor of sitting through a Native American sweat lodge ceremony - I find it enriching to experience and study unfamiliar cultures and spiritual traditions first hand.
So naturally, I took advantage of my neighborhood and attended a Hanukkah candle lighting ceremony at a cafe. The event was part of a collaborative celebration in the Jewish district called Quarter6/Quarter7 that honors the heritage of Budapest and focuses on breathing new life into the area. At the event I attended, hosts led a crowd of about 40 people through a traditional menorah lighting ritual. Those who knew Hebrew joined in prayers as the host lit two candles (it was the second day of Hanukkah) on a humble, gold menorah. Although brief, the event was a touching celebration of God and community.

No comments:

Post a Comment