Sunday, October 17, 2010

Surviving a 10k

Location: Budapest
October 17, 2010
Adventure #35

Today, I ran in Budapest's Women's Race, a 10k that lured thousands of fit femmes and some funny men in drag to a tree-covered starting line in City Park. Although I trained for the race, the current sore state of my legs proves that I did not put in enough mileage, so those last couple kilometers were pretty tough. Also, Mike and I got a puppy this week (more to come on that), so we had a series of restless nights and early mornings, which didn't help my energy factor either. I am just quite proud of myself for finding the motivation to do my second 10k and finishing it - which was just as much of a psychological feat as a physical one.

Here is a selection of what went on in my head today:

First kilometer: Let's do this! I'm feeling good thanks to the pre-race group aerobics and am jazzed to be part of this huge group of ladies.
Second km: Today Marisa hates two-months ago Marisa for registering for the 10k instead of the 3k. I could almost be done by now.
Third km: I'm not even half way there? Time to bust out the Ipod. Must pause Ipod to hear cute little boy who is playing the bagpipes for us.
Fourth km: Running through the shining statues of Heroes' Square is not bad at all.
Fifth km: I am closer to my apartment than I am the finishing line. Maybe I'll run home and call it a day.
Sixth km: Water station - I will use this opportunity to walk for a relieving 10 seconds.
Seventh km: The overweight man dressed as a peasant lady with a backpack WILL NOT BEAT ME. Pick up the pace.
Eighth km: I could make a fortune selling inexpensive sports bras to Hungarian women.
Ninth km: So tired. Just keep going. The faster you run this last stretch, the faster you'll be home to your new puppy.
Tenth km: Done! My friends who ran in Denver's half marathon today are way tougher than me. Note to self: never run a marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment